Brazil Chamber approves project to regulate online sports betting

December 22, 2023
By
Leer en Español

The Government expects to increase revenue with the proposal.

The Chamber of Deputies in Brazil has approved the bill that will regulate online sports betting, known as Bill 3626/23. 

In recent weeks, sports betting regulations were passed in Brazil by the Senate, which outlined taxes and measures that will be placed on sports betting operators in the country. 

The Senate voted to remove iGaming from the bill, but the Chamber of Deputies overturned this, meaning it was included in the bill. 

Betting in the country will be authorized by the Ministry of Finance and companies must have a Brazilian member on their board who holds at least 20% of the company. 

In terms of revenue, companies will be able to keep 88% of gross revenue for costs and the other 12% will be divided between education, public safety, sport and other areas. When it comes to income tax, companies will be taxed at 12%. 

The President of the Chamber, Arthur Lira, said: “Here we are not increasing or decreasing, we are trying to regulate and give seriousness [to the sector] to avoid, for example, money laundering.” 

Deputy, Adolfo Viana, added: “We want a law that, definitively, establishes that these betting sites will be supervised and taxed by the country. If we do not approve the project, the games will continue to take place without supervision.” 

In other Brazilian gambling news, Bragg Gaming yesterday announced the launch of its aggregation platform in Brazil with Superbet.

State-by-State

Product Spotlight

Bragg Gaming Group

Bragg Gaming Group is a global content-driven iGaming technology provider, serving online and land-based gaming operators with its proprietary and exclusive content and cutting-edge technology.
GA HUDDLE #087

John Connelly - Interblock preparing to launch online by the end of year

John Connelly, the Global CEO of Interblock, joins the Huddle to talk about:
- The company's conversion to the online space
- The performance of ETGs
- Interblock's new philanthropic efforts
- The trend of companies going private
- And more!
GA HUDDLE #086

Michael Hershman - Dispelling casino 'myths:' New York needs to lose fear of the unknown

Michael Hershman, CEO of the Soloviev Group, joins Tim Poole on the Huddle to put forward his case that the Freedom Plaza is the way to go for one of New York's casino licences. He fields a variety of questions - not shying away from any of them - on why 'myths' about casinos and a fear of the unknown should be dispelled, as well as acknowledging the strength of rival bids and discussing opposition to the project.

As the Tribal gaming sector congregates once more in the Golden State, is it too cliché of me to suggest we are heading for a golden era of Tribal gaming? With the industry set to meet at the Indian Gaming Association t...

10-11-From-the-top
From The Top: Will youth be served by Sports Betting?
Two recent interviews in our Huddle podcast revealed to Las Vegas correspondent Brian Joseph just how young sports betting entrepreneurs are becoming.
12-GA-MAR-10-year-v2
The Global Gaming Awards: Rewarding Excellence
The 10th edition of the Global Gaming Awards took place in Las Vegas last year. Gaming America looks back... and ahead to this year's.
16-18-IGA-Preview
Preview: Indian Gaming Tradeshow & Convention
Gaming America looks ahead to the 2024 Indian Gaming Tradeshow & Convention and what attendees can expect when they arrive at the Anaheim Convention Centre.
20-22-GA-Mar-888-Holding-article
888 and the US Market: A cautionary tale
Gaming America explores the risk of resting on your laurels and the challenge of remaining relevant in a rapidly expanding market.