Yield Sec data finds nearly 2/3 of Super Bowl bets were illegal

February 23, 2024
By
Leer en Español

$537m more illegally wagered this year compared to last year.

Gaming analysis company, YieldSec, has released data commissioned by the Campaign for Fairer Gambling (CFG), in relation to bets on this year’s Super Bowl. 

The main point found from the analysis was that nearly two-thirds of bets placed on the Super Bowl were in fact illegal, as the black market continues to overshadow the regulated market. 

In all, there were 350 million total bets placed this year, 228 million of which were illegal. The total value of bets wagered was up around 20% to $5.4bn, but $4bn of which still represented illegal bets. 

The legal market did show growth, by 22 million bets, when compared with last year, but there were also 42 million more illegal bets. 

This means the illegal market comprises 65% of the overall Super Bowl betting market, leaving 35% being held by the legal market. 

YieldSec Founder and CEO, Ismail Vali, said: “It's troubling to see the proximity of illegal gambling to our audiences and the core of the Super Bowl's conversation and commerce.  

“With illegal brands capturing nearly two-thirds of all bets on the game, the challenge of shifting control from illegal to legal operators in the online betting and gaming marketplace is more apparent than ever. 

“Our monitoring underscores the significant growth of illegal gambling activities, which not only threatens the integrity of sports and the gambling industry but also hampers the potential for increased revenues, tax contributions, and consumer protection. The data post-Super Bowl 2024 underscores the critical need for a united effort to regulate, police and enforce the online gambling marketplace.” 

CFG Founder and funder Derek Webb added: “The legal gambling sector sold lawmakers across America the mirage of the regulated market supplanting the black market. 

“The legal gambling sector, which should be disappointed, has thus far been allergic to any and all federal involvement. We hope America’s legal gambling sector and its trade groups will reconsider and join us in calling for a federal crackdown on illegal gambling.” 

Shortly after the Super Bowl, bet365 revealed that the popularity of Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift had boosted the number of bets placed on the game. 

State-by-State

Product Spotlight

Konami

Things get unruly in the company of some fleecy characters in the new Konami Gaming’s new Unwooly Riches slot series.
GA HUDDLE #089

Brian Uran - AI has shown casinos new ways to think about business

GA HUDDLE #088

Adam Wexler: PrizePicks almost went out of business during Covid - but now...

Roughly six years after speaking to Gambling Insider as an upcoming start-up, PrizePicks CEO Adam Wexler joins the Huddle to reflect on huge growth since - which almost ground to a halt during the Covid-19 pandemic.

We cover:

- Entrepreneurship, regulatory changes and the pandemic

- Offering a different customer experience and differentiating by product

- Fantasy sports being strong enough without sports betting

- Barriers to entry in the fantasy market

- Opposition from FanDuel and DraftKings

- Targets, plans and the Philippines

- US markets and the future of fantasy


Five years ago, before the mass proliferation of social media we see today – and even before the Covid-19 pandemic – I think you would be hard pressed to find a CEO talking about “Instagrammable moments.” KPIs w...

gga
The Global Gaming Awards: Looking ahead to 2024's ceremonies.
After more than a decade of celebrating gaming's best, Gaming America looks ahead to a bright 2024 for the Global Gaming Awards in the Americas and Asia-Pacific.
GA
From the top: The Indian Gaming Tradeshow & Convention
Tribal gaming is a uniquely American institution and all its uncommon attributes were on display this April at the Indian Gaming Tradeshow & Convention in Anaheim, California.
terre
Review: Terre Haute Casino Resort and Harrah's Hoosier Park Racing & Casino
Terre Haute Casino Resort vs. Harrah's Hoosier Park Racing & Casino, Gaming America's Laura Mack reviews each property.
andrew
Eureka Casino interview: CEO Andre Carrier on resort expansion
We spoke with returning guest, CEO Andre Carrier, about Eureka Casino Resort's expansion. He aims to not only change the look and feel of the casino, but to also build residential housing around it.